Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Veterans and a return to homebrew

Today most of my platoon took a trip to a VA retirement home in nearby Temple, Texas.  I spent most of my time listening to Joe Vaughn, a former Army medical supervisor who entered Japan with the occupation and stayed for several further tours.  In talking with them I felt like I was simultaneously interested and frustrated, like they had interestesting tales to tell, but were no longer capable of weaving the story.

On sunday I got back into Mead brewing.  I had purchased 3 lbs of honey at the Farmers' market in houston and I had finally assembled the ingredients and time to put it all together.  It should reach two months maturity in the beginning of May; perfect for a predeployment toast.  I followed the same general receipe as my previous experiment, but with better ingredients.  It was already fermenting within 30 minutes of sealing the jug.

3 lbs of Bee Wilde natural honey
1 naval orange (in eighths)
20 raisins
6 Sticks of mexican cinnamon.
1 heaping tablespoon of nutmeg.
14 grams of Fleichmann's fast-acting yeast
HEB brand spring water

No comments:

Post a Comment