Saturday, February 22, 2014

Yeast re-pitch and Worthington's White Shield

Tonight I transferred my Super Bowl ESB to a carboy and pitched a new yeast. The bucket primary fermenter did not seem to be producing carbon dioxide as fast or consistently as my previous beer and mead projects. I was concerned about contamination or a dead yeast packet, so I stopped by Black Hawk Brewing Supply for advice and fresh packet of Nottingham Brewing Yeast. I'm still not sure what the values on my hydrometer are telling me exactly, but both samples I tested were in the center of the "finished beer" marked area. Still, I siphoned the beer into a sterile carboy and pitched the new yeast on top. The airlock began bubbling a steady and reassuring pace as soon as I sealed the cork, so it appears there were definitely more sugars to convert. I didn't specifically stir or agitate it after sealing, but it did slosh quite a bit as I carried the carboy to the central fermentation chamber (my closet). Next weekend I'll bottle and then give it a further week to bottle-condition.

Worthington's White Shield
Photo from CAMRGB.org
I found this dusty bottle amongst my liquor. I have no idea when I got it; it doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd pick for myself and Sarah knows I usually don't like IPAs. The brand itself is from eighteenth-century England, but was acquired by Coors 12 years ago. I didn't get my own picture, so I'm unsure whether the bottle I tried came from ol' Burton-upon-Trent or one of the MolsonCoors industrial operations in this hemisphere. Regardless, it was very tasty. Two fingers of head and a rich amber color. Caramelized malt flavors and an uncommonly balanced hop profile compared to most IPAs. The internet says 40 IBUs. This was a real winner, but unfortunately not offered in 6-packs here. I think my tastes are drifting away from the Black Lagers and Belgians toward more tradition British styles. This is one I'd get again.

No comments:

Post a Comment