Friday, April 15, 2011

Zonk & Affligem Abbey Belgian Tripel

Zonk /zɒnk/ Unofficial army command. Typically used during PT (physical training) formations during extremely uncooperative weather as a way of dismissing a unit from duty. After the command of “Zonk!!” is given the entire unit runs off screaming and shouting to their barracks rooms or cars.
That's the command we received after marching away from our 0630 formation this morning.  It was cooler this morning, but nothing unbearable.  I think my sergeants are just eager for this week to end.  Can't say I disagree with them; I've been juggled around in a predeployment medical bureaucracy for over a week now.

I pick this one up last weekend because it was next to the Unibroue offerings and because it had apparently won the World Beer Cup for its class three separate years.  I started off pretty unimpressed; it's lighter in body than other tripels and a little hoppier, but generally less bombastic in flavors.  I wasn't a fan for the first glass, but subsequent tastes got better until I was a little sad to finish it off.  Does this abbey ale have a complexity that only reveals itself over time?  Was I just getting used to its particular flavor profile?  Or maybe the 9.5% ABV was influencing my change in affection?  Probably a combination of the three, but tasting is not an empirical pastime and analysis can only take you so far.  I doubt I'll get it again, but I wouldn't call it bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment