Friday, May 6, 2011

Battalion Run & Wee Heavy

Another earlier start today, this time so we could get in formation for a Battalion run.  It was a pretty slow jog in formation while calling cadence after which the colonel gave a pep talk about our forthcoming deployment.  Following that we had our safety brief and vehicle inspections and were released for the weekend.

I thought I should mention that these beer reviews aren't posted as I try them.  I might average about one per night, but I don't always want to or have something new to try.  I will trade and try new things with friends in the company and I also try to get sampler packs and single bottles when I can.  This started out when I lived in the barracks without internet, so I had to keep track of brews I'd tried and type them up the USO or library.  I'll go back through that file to refresh my memory and so I can keep a backlog of options for each entry here.

This evening, however, I am trying Belhaven's Wee Heavy for the first time.  And it's pretty darn good.  It's tastes almost Belgian with its easy hops and dark fruit flavors, but there is a bit of Scotch-smokiness in the malts and finish as well.  It's about 7% ABV but no boozy-ness creeps into the flavor.  I made sure I got a Wee Heavy in a brown bottle; I don't know why they'd ever switch to clear.  Just like with the Stout, I wonder how much this can improve with a nitrogen-tap.  All-in-all, this is another excellent offering from Belhaven; 3 out of 3 so far have been more than agreeable to my palate.  If I'm ever back in Scotland, I'll definitely try to make a trip to see their operations.

No comments:

Post a Comment