Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Weekend Visit & Orval Trappist Pale Ale

My parents and youngest brother were able to fly down for a pre-deployment visit over the weekend.  They got to see the limited attractions of Fort Hood and we spent as much time as possible just hanging out.  We never made it to ride horses or go swimming, but it was really nice to just swap new and tell stories.

We did get out to the movie theater Sunday night to see Bridesmaids.  I'm not specifically a Kristen Wiig fan, but I liked the supporting cast and it got conspicuously high reviews on rottentomatoes.  This shouldn't be a spoiler, but the plot went in a direction I wasn't expecting from the trailers.  It was fun, funny, and well done, though well deserving of its R rating.

Orval Trappist Pale Ale
I chose this in Killeen at Old Chicago because it was listed as a Belgian Trappist Ale that I'd never heard of before.  Unfortunately for me it turned out to be a pale ale and a hoppy/bitter one at that.  It poured with a huge head and was far less palatable to me than the Affligem trappist ale.  I would not buy again, but hop-heads would probably love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment