Sunday, March 3, 2013

Barenaked Ladies and Alexander Keith's

The Barenaked Ladies were the first 'adult' band I got into without my parent's tutelage. What I mean is, yeah I enjoyed Queen and the Eagles and Jimmy Buffett, but only due to exposure by my parents. BnL was not the first band that was 'mine,' but they've stood the test of time far better than say Smash Mouth or Creed. I discovered them in middle school when Maroon came out and 'Pinch me' was on the radio and they've never left my regular playlists. They've got musically diverse songs with great lyrics I can appreciate in new ways as I get older. And they seem like genuinely good guys. I can appreciate art or music without having to like the artist personally; Axl Rose seems like a jerk but that doesn't stop be from rocking out to Appetite for Destruction. But I think I'd get along with the BnL guys pretty well.

Photo from The AU Review
Sarah and I saw them perform in Canadaigua in 2010. It was a great trip to the middle of New York wine country. At the concert they sold red and white wine in 32oz plastic cups. With straws. That's a recipe for a good time. Unfortunately for us, this was after Steven Paige left the band and the arrangements and chemistry were understandably different. I wish I had seen them with the original lineup, but maybe there will be a reunion tour someday.


Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale
Is it a real IPA? It lacks the hoppy bite of traditional and American IPAs. Beeradvocate tells me they've been producing this beer under this name since before the modern IPA renaissance redefined the style. It's lighter, smooth, and drinkable with nice grain flavors; a good keg beer, I'd imagine.


Alexander Keith's Red Amber Ale
Simple, well-rounded amber ale. Belongs alongside a thick burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment