Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stompin' Tom and St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

I was really struggling on what to write about today, but then I found out Stompin' Tom Connors died. Before today I only knew him from the Good Old Hockey Game Song, but I've enjoyed the songs I found on youtube and this gem from wikipedia I'm quoting in entirety:
Various stories have circulated about the origin of the foot stomping, but it's generally accepted that he did this to keep a strong tempo for his guitar playing — especially in the noisy bars and beer joints where he frequently performed. After numerous complaints about damaged stage floors, Tom began to carry a piece of plywood that he stomped even more vigorously than before. The "stompin' " board has since become one of his trademarks. After stomping a hole in the wood, he would pick it up and show it to the audience (accompanied by a joke about the quality of the local lumber) before calling for a new one. It was reported that when asked about his "stompin' board", Tom replied, "it's just a stage I'm going through". Stompin' Tom periodically auctioned off his "stompin' boards" for charity with the latest board selling for $15,000.
He was 77.



St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout


McAuslan, a Québécois brewery, brings us St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout today. This was probably the best oatmeal stout I've ever had, but I'm not a huge fan of the style. I just don't get the oatmeal flavors. It was roasty without being too pungent; rather refined but still heavy in the mouth for me. The head was full, but not too thick; it lasted through the whole glass. I'd get it again in a sampler pack, but not a whole six-pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment