Thursday, March 28, 2013

Quadrophenia and Well's Bombardier

After seeing the Who's set during the 12.12.12 fundraising concert, I added Quadrophenia to Netflix que. Last weekend it arrived and today I finally got a chance to watch it. I'm not sure what I expected.

Image from collider.com
I don't have any nostalgia or connection to 1960s working class England, so a lot of the ambiance was lost on me. I did enjoy the music and spotting the different British motorcycles the Rockers rode.  Jimmy's just and angry little shit for most of the movie. Maybe that characterization is supposed to show how his constant pill-popping affects him. All the roles are really well cast, especially Sting as a vaguely Nazi style icon. The Criterion commentary revealed that Johnny Rotten was almost cast as Jimmy, but the studio wouldn't assume the financial risk. So, while I'm not lining up to become a Mod or a Rocker, but I'm glad I watched it.

Well's Bombardier


This is a tasty ESB with a distinctive British character. Malty, but less than a brown or Scottish-style one. I had it on-tap at BJ's Brewhouse some time ago and I've been meaning to try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment